Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Random Notes From Hollywood On Ash Wednesday

Hey Y'all.
Been a good week for you, I hope. Got in a little while ago from communion for Ash Wednesday. God only knows how much I needed it. It was a silent service in Boyer Chapel. One of my favorite spaces.

Last night, we went to the Groundlings' theatre to see Jeremy Rowley reprise his show Inland Empire. Some bits were reruns and there were several new sketches, but it was all inspired illness. Jeremy plays these unhinged characters from the Riverside area; his mathematically challenged Dad in "Family Dinner" was a favorite of mine. You may know Jeremy's voice from the Lost Untangled shorts on ABC. Or check out his shorts on YouTube: Kids are Safe is Germanic madness and I don't even know how he filmed Trippin' At D-Land.

Something that struck me going to the Groundlings on Melrose was the loss of the Gig. I must have played the Gig several dozen times between 1997-2006. It had been two-plus years since my last appearance there with R.H.S. Another venue bites the dust. Now it's just reopened as another bar. The doorman was adamant about never having live music there again. Yikes. Wha'ppen?

I'm listening to Tom Waits right now, Used Songs. Just read a story in the latest GQ about 50 years of the L.A. Music Scene. Well seal the coffin, it's gone now. But there are nice (brief) interviews with the likes of Tom Waits, Dick Dale and the ever-cool Joan Jett. All three look fantastic in the accompanying photo spread.

If you like, I invite you to the church I attend (check the links to the right) between now and Easter and beyond. I will be doing several pieces during the main 10.30 services. This Sunday, I'm singing Dylan's Pressing On. Later in March, I'll reprise Take Me To The River. Just 'cause I'm singing isn't the reason to get to church, but I figured some of you might be interested. I should know shortly the dates of my Summer performances. There will be at least one performance up on the Universal Citywalk and International Pop Overthrow in L.A.

Slumdog Millionaire certainly deserved all of the Oscars it won. Like I said "random notes." Got to get ready for Lost.

Peace & Disco Beats

No comments:

Post a Comment