Saturday, October 31, 2009

Original Cinnamon Posse Soundtrack 20 Years Later

So, it occurred to me a few weeks ago as things were spinning on my iPod and after a visit to Amoeba for some 12" vinyl that the Cinnamon Posse turns 20 this semester. It was my Junior year at Georgetown. I got to DC early to ramp up New South with my fellow SMs. That opening weekend of the year old friends got together and a few new faces infiltrated the inner circle.

The core group still corresponds and has reunions occasionally. Speaking of which we are overdue. I'm the furthest one away, so it does my heart good when I hear that the folks in DC are doing well. The original 4 were Christo, Rick, Goff and myself. Portner quickly fell in with the crew and actually christened the group when lyrics to Bust A Move were misheard. Our final official addition was Mr. Thad. A more seasoned and reasonable voice amongst the insanity that is/was.

We did synchronized dances at parties; wore matching pink and blue striped shirts; participated in lip-sync contests; we were very vocal when it came to GU hoops; and owned a corner of Village A and annexed New South cafe when necessary. Ridiculous? Well, these were the days of New Kids on the Block and Dikembe Mutombo.

As I mentioned it was music that brought back the memories of a particular rooftop soiree the summer of Do The Right Thing. These were some of the songs that seeped through our stereos and walkmen. Here are my top 20 posse tunes from 20 years ago that you might have heard when the Cinnamon Posse was in sonar range. Over the course of the next three semesters, a number of summers and numerous Homecoming weekends, we've added to our soundtrack. But this is where it started for me and these songs always bring back good memories of my homeboys and our entourage.

By the way these make a great mixtape or playlist for your iTunes, etc.

In no particular order:
Bust A Move - Young MC
Hey Ladies - Beastie Boys
Back To Life - Soul II Soul
Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
Partyman - Prince
Every Little Step - Bobby Brown
Mixed Emotions - Rolling Stones
Doowutchyalike - Digital Underground
Magic Number - De La Soul
Fight The Power - Public Enemy
Cold Hearted - Paula Abdul
Just A Friend - Biz Markie
Sowing The Seeds Of Love - Tears For Fears
It Takes Two - Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock
Love Shack - B52's
Batdance - Prince
Shake Your Rump - Beastie Boys
Used To Love Her - Guns & Roses
Baby Don't Forget My Number - Milli Vanilli
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Keep On Moving - Soul II Soul

Of course, I expect the Posse and the extended family to chime in and refresh my memory on any I've forgotten from the Fall of '89. Please do, homies. Internationally known. X-post Christo. Big love. Hoya Saxa. Peace!

1 comment:

  1. Oh MY!!!!!

    Is Eddie OK?
    I Can't Do Nuttin' for Ya Man
    Yo baby, what's up!?!
    Just grab 'im in the biscuits!
    Oh yeah...
    Twistin' Twistin' Everybody's feelin' great
    Chips?
    Doowutchalike is highly apropos this Halloween night - but only cuz you know the video!
    What a wreck.
    Jell-OOOO
    Girl I'll House You
    This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. We're stealin' it back.
    Groove is in the Heart
    Don't call it a comeback
    It's the new jack swing, yes T.R. is my name...
    Do the Right Thing.
    Brother brother brother brother man brother man
    I got friends in low places
    What do u hate?
    Let's do it...
    You say you want a revolution
    Yeah, well I hate guys that be frontin; up on the money to let us get our nails done.
    I like Twizzlers, and um, I like the Alligator Bob, and my favorit e drama movie is blood sucking freaks. Just like yo mama.
    Hi Fritzie, remember me?
    And please use a little bit of soap!
    Got to try a new position
    I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing this for you.
    Release it
    They got some pretty little women in Kansas City
    Been around the world and I, I, I...
    Never badder than bad cuz a brother is madder than mad at the fact he's corrupt like a senator.
    Doin' Da Butt.

    And on that note, I leave you with my love... and seeking additions.

    PEACE!

    -Numero Dos

    ReplyDelete